NHLPA Assists in Action contributes $103,817 To Kids Help Phone
A total of 14,831 assists were recorded by NHL players during the regular season and playoffs, with the NHLPA donating $7 per assist to KHP.
TORONTO (July 6, 2023) – The National Hockey League Players’ Association is pleased to announce that $103,817 has been contributed to Kids Help Phone programming through NHLPA Assists in Action. In the second year of the initiative, the NHLPA once again donated $7 to Kids Help Phone for every assist recorded by an NHL player during the 2022-23 regular season and playoffs – bringing the total amount contributed to KHP to more than $206,000 after two seasons.
NHL players recorded 13,891 assists during the 2022-23 regular season, for an average of 5.29 assists per game. Forward Connor McDavid led the way with 89 assists in the regular season, while Erik Karlsson recorded 76 assists to lead all defencemen. In the playoffs, another 940 assists were recorded, led by forward Jack Eichel’s 20 assists, while Evan Bouchard’s 13 assists led all defencemen.
NHLPA Assists in Action built on past collaborations by highlighting the NHL forward and defenceman who recorded the most assists each month, alongside one Kids Help Phone counsellor and one crisis responder for their work assisting youth, on NHLPA and Kids Help Phone and NHLPA social media platforms. The $7 matching denomination for the initiative was made as a nod to the late Ted Lindsay, the first president of the original Players’ Association.
Monthly Assist Leaders / Kids Help Phone Counsellors & Crisis Responders:
- Forward: Leon Draisaitl (12 assists)
- Defenceman: Cale Makar & Josh Morrissey (8 assists)
- Counsellor Justin & Crisis Responder Gillian
- Forward: Nikita Kucherov (16)
- Defenceman: Quinn Hughes & Erik Karlsson (16)
- Counsellor Kristen & Crisis Responder Emily
- Forward: Connor McDavid (17 assists)
- Defenceman: Erik Karlsson (17 assists)
- Counsellor Lisa & Crisis Responder Baneen
- Forward: Matthew Tkachuk, Aleksander Barkov & Nathan MacKinnon (15)
- Defenceman: Rasmus Dahlin (13)
- Counsellor Jane & Crisis Responder Danica
- Forward: Connor McDavid (14)
- Defenceman: Quinn Hughes (12)
- Counsellor Fatimah & Crisis Responder Daniella
- Forward: Connor McDavid (18)
- Defenceman: Miro Heiskanen (19)
- Counsellor Maya & Crisis Responder Cinzia
- Regular-season leaders
- Forward: Connor McDavid (89)
- Defenceman: Erik Karlsson (76)
- Counsellor Alexia & Crisis Responder Laura
- Forward: Jack Eichel (20)
- Defenceman: Evan Bouchard (13)
- Counsellor Sarah & Crisis Responder Donna (mid-playoff post)
Kids Help Phone and the NHLPA are focused on continuing to bring awareness of mental health resources available to the hockey community in Canada, thanks to the vital work of Kids Help Phone’s professional counsellors and volunteer crisis responders. Hockey fans who would like to provide their own assist are encouraged to visit KidsHelpPhone.ca.